Does anyone run Open Solaris under VirtualBox?
FACE
2008-11-13 14:26:03 UTC
Does anyone run Open Solaris 5.11 snv_ 86 i86pc i386 i86pc (uname -a output)
under VirtualBox?

FACE
Thomas Maier-Komor
2008-11-13 14:33:39 UTC
I've tried only NV99 and ran into a couple of issues...
FACE
2008-11-13 15:02:06 UTC
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:33:39 +0100 in comp.unix.solaris, Thomas Maier-Komor
Post by Thomas Maier-Komor
Post by FACE
Does anyone run Open Solaris 5.11 snv_ 86 i86pc i386 i86pc (uname -a output)
under VirtualBox?
FACE
I've tried only NV99 and ran into a couple of issues...
Thanks for the response, that must be Nevada 99(?).

Was one of the issues connectivity?

I am using ethernet DSL on the host.

Interesting thing is that it had Internet connection during install, but
'forgot' it after installed.

oh wait! I just enabled NWAM with SVCADM and it brought up the connection.
I tested it with www.google.com to make sure it was not cached. But I
doubt it will stick between sessions.

Anyone -- How do i make enabling NWAM a part of boot? Cryptoadm? Or
better yet, an actual file and how to get to it..........

Would a script be necessary?

(All I have seen here on Op Sol. is Gedit)

FACE
Thomas Maier-Komor
2008-11-13 15:32:46 UTC
Post by Thomas Maier-Komor
Post by FACE
Does anyone run Open Solaris 5.11 snv_ 86 i86pc i386 i86pc (uname -a output)
under VirtualBox?
FACE
I've tried only NV99 and ran into a couple of issues...
Thanks for the response, that must be Nevada 99(?).
Was one of the issues connectivity?
I am using ethernet DSL on the host.
Interesting thing is that it had Internet connection during install, but
'forgot' it after installed.
oh wait! I just enabled NWAM with SVCADM and it brought up the connection.
I tested it with www.google.com to make sure it was not cached. But I
doubt it will stick between sessions.
Anyone -- How do i make enabling NWAM a part of boot? Cryptoadm? Or
better yet, an actual file and how to get to it..........
Would a script be necessary?
(All I have seen here on Op Sol. is Gedit)
FACE
yes, that's Solaris Nevada 99.

My issues were:
1) emulated 82543GC network chip causes lockup during booting.
2) autoconfiguration of X failed
3) manual configuration of X with /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgcfg fails too and
leaves console keyboard in an unusable state

That's my current status. So, I didn't have time to look into anything
more up to now. So no experience with network stuff yet, as I kept
struggling with X...

- Thomas
FACE
2008-11-13 16:38:56 UTC
Post by Thomas Maier-Komor
Post by FACE
[...]
That's quite a list.

For number 3 - xorgcfg -- I have not looked at the file under Open Solaris,
but in some Linux machines I have edited it with nano (does not appear to be
on Op Sol.) and downed the color resolution in the "Screen" section and one
place about twenty lines lower to be 16 instead of 24 and straightened it
out. If it works as other Unix-type desktops that I have seen skewed, you
should be able to drop to a usable console with alt F2 (or F3).

For number 2 -- an apt-get install desktop with the OS CD or image mounted?

FACE
Dave Uhring
2008-11-13 15:43:43 UTC
Post by FACE
I am using ethernet DSL on the host.
Makes absolutely no difference. VirtualBox provides its own virtual
NIC with DHCP for the guest.
Post by FACE
Interesting thing is that it had Internet connection during install, but
'forgot' it after installed.
oh wait! I just enabled NWAM with SVCADM and it brought up the connection.
I tested it with www.google.com to make sure it was not cached. But I
doubt it will stick between sessions.
Anyone -- How do i make enabling NWAM a part of boot? Cryptoadm? Or
better yet, an actual file and how to get to it..........
Just quit fooling with the networking; the default configuration works.

Cryptoadm is *broken* on snv_86. Download a current image from
http://www.genunix.org, delete your current guest and install from the
new image.
FACE
2008-11-13 16:50:11 UTC
Really? What an active imagination I have.............................
Dave Uhring
2008-11-13 15:00:26 UTC
Post by FACE
Does anyone run Open Solaris 5.11 snv_ 86 i86pc i386 i86pc (uname -a output)
under VirtualBox?
Yes, but nothing that old.

***@einstein:~$ ls -l .VirtualBox/VDI/
total 21606935
-rw------- 1 duhring sysadmin 6442476032 2008-10-27 14:49 crapware.vdi
-rw------- 1 duhring sysadmin 5451612672 2008-11-10 22:39 osol.vdi
-rw------- 1 duhring sysadmin 10418717184 2008-10-26 11:53 solaris10.vdi

BTW, posting the output of "head -1 /etc/release" is far more useful.