hme interface - any way to stop auto 'this and that'?
Dave
2009-04-10 11:24:16 UTC
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but it
works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did work
fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with the
DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)

I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?

I found this:

http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1997/0788.html

but its 10 years old and I'm not sure if much of it is applicable in
Solaris 10 update 6.

Ideally I'd like to force 100baseT full duplex but anything that works
reliably (even 10baseT half-duplex) would be ok!
--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,
by others. They are leeches.
Martha Starkey
2009-04-10 13:29:55 UTC
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but it
works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did work
fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with the
DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)
I had the same experience with my U5 system with hme interface and
Linksys and later a NetGear router. I had to force 10FDX on Solaris 9
and ISTR I did this by editing the /etc/system file.

Once I got to Solaris 10 Update 5, autonegotiation started working and
forcing was no longer necessary.

http://blogs.sun.com/swas/entry/solaris_10_install_followup

"A longstanding issue with the hme0 interface was resolved by Solaris
10. I was never able to get autonegotiation working between first a
Linksys router/switch and later the Netgear. I had to force hme0 and
then it would only work if I forced 10FDX; 100FDX refused to work either
way. hme patches didn't help. Now I am finally autonegging:

NOTICE: hme0: 100Mbps full duplex link up "
Post by Dave
I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?
http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1997/0788.html
but its 10 years old and I'm not sure if much of it is applicable in
Solaris 10 update 6.
of the methods listed there, #1 is applicable to Solaris 10. Don't use
/etc/system. the .conf files ensure that the params are read by the
kernel early in the boot process, which is good practice:

1) Driver dependent config (/kernel/drv/hme.conf):
-- ------ --------- ------ -----------------------
adv_autoneg_cap = 0 adv_100fdx_cap = 1 adv_100hdx_cap = 0 adv_10fdx_cap
= 0 adv_10hdx_cap = 0;

that will set all instances of hme to 100FDX, the easiest way to set
that up when you have a single interface. To set different params for
multiple instances is a bit trickier, as you need to dig around in
path_to_inst, but doable.

To sort of experiment to see what speed works best with your router, use
the ndd commands 'on the fly' to set either 100FDX or 10FDX. I'm used to
setting the instance first:

ndd -set /dev/hme instance 0 (assuming hme0)

Then . .

ndd -set /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 1

check /var/adm/messages for a link message and/or use ndd to check:

# ndd /dev/hme link_status
1
# ndd /dev/hme link_speed
1
# ndd /dev/hme link_mode
1

would indicate up, 100Mbps, full duplex. If that seems to work, then
force the interfaces with hme.conf and reboot.
Post by Dave
Ideally I'd like to force 100baseT full duplex but anything that works
reliably (even 10baseT half-duplex) would be ok!
10HDX would probably work, but it would be slow and aggravating to use,
with network services timing out . . . ugh. Hopefully that won't be
necessary.
Dave
2009-04-10 14:49:08 UTC
Post by Martha Starkey
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but
it works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did
work fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with
the DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)
I had the same experience with my U5 system with hme interface and
Linksys and later a NetGear router. I had to force 10FDX on Solaris 9
and ISTR I did this by editing the /etc/system file.
Once I got to Solaris 10 Update 5, autonegotiation started working and
forcing was no longer necessary.
http://blogs.sun.com/swas/entry/solaris_10_install_followup
Do you know if this issue was fixed in Solaris 10 update 4 or earlier? I
thought the machine had u6, but in fact it is u4.
Post by Martha Starkey
"A longstanding issue with the hme0 interface was resolved by Solaris
10. I was never able to get autonegotiation working between first a
Linksys router/switch and later the Netgear. I had to force hme0 and
then it would only work if I forced 10FDX; 100FDX refused to work either
NOTICE: hme0: 100Mbps full duplex link up "
To sort of experiment to see what speed works best with your router, use
the ndd commands 'on the fly' to set either 100FDX or 10FDX. I'm used to
ndd -set /dev/hme instance 0 (assuming hme0)
Then . .
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 1
Thank you.

There is only one hme interface (hme0), so I do not need to concern
myself with worrying about that.

I found the definitions of these at

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-4449/6j47dm3ie?a=view

so I'll go with that. Unfortunately, it is a bit intermittant, which
makes fault-finding hard. It does not totally stop working, but drops to
a very low speed. I can't download data from the internet any quicker
than about 1 KB/s on other machine on the network. It screws the whole
network up.
Post by Martha Starkey
10HDX would probably work, but it would be slow and aggravating to use,
with network services timing out . . . ugh. Hopefully that won't be
necessary.
To be honest it is connected via an ADSL link which is slower, so I
doubt it would make much difference for most uses. But it would make a
big difference if I wanted to copy a large file to/from it from a local
machine.
by others. They are leeches.
Martha Starkey
2009-04-13 12:23:27 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Martha Starkey
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't
believe there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this
though) but it works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn
router. It did work fine on another router, so either its a
compatibility issue with the DrayTek or its been damaged in the last
couple of weeks.)
I had the same experience with my U5 system with hme interface and
Linksys and later a NetGear router. I had to force 10FDX on Solaris 9
and ISTR I did this by editing the /etc/system file.
Once I got to Solaris 10 Update 5, autonegotiation started working and
forcing was no longer necessary.
http://blogs.sun.com/swas/entry/solaris_10_install_followup
Do you know if this issue was fixed in Solaris 10 update 4 or earlier? I
thought the machine had u6, but in fact it is u4.
I don't know exactly. From my experience installing
S10 on old 'sunny', U4 seemed to have whatever was
necessary to get the hme interface to start
autonegging to the netgear. If you are already using
U4 and are still having problems, it sounds more
interoperability related to me.
machine.
Richard B. Gilbert
2009-04-10 13:37:17 UTC
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but it
works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did work
fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with the
DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)
I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?
http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1997/0788.html
but its 10 years old and I'm not sure if much of it is applicable in
Solaris 10 update 6.
Ideally I'd like to force 100baseT full duplex but anything that works
reliably (even 10baseT half-duplex) would be ok!
If autonegotiation works, it's the way to go. Unfortunately, there was
an ambiguity in the standard which resulted in some equipment doing "X"
while other equipment did "Y". Equipment of recent manufacture should
work but a lot of older equipment (late 1990s - early 2000s may have to
be forced to do the right thing. If you do have to brutalize it, be
sure to get both ends configured identically; one end doing full duplex
and the other doing half DOES NOT work very well! ;-)
Stefaan A Eeckels
2009-04-11 09:26:26 UTC
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:37:17 -0400
Post by Richard B. Gilbert
Post by Dave
Ideally I'd like to force 100baseT full duplex but anything that
works reliably (even 10baseT half-duplex) would be ok!
If autonegotiation works, it's the way to go. Unfortunately, there
was an ambiguity in the standard which resulted in some equipment
doing "X" while other equipment did "Y". Equipment of recent
manufacture should work but a lot of older equipment (late 1990s -
early 2000s may have to be forced to do the right thing. If you do
have to brutalize it, be sure to get both ends configured
identically; one end doing full duplex and the other doing half DOES
NOT work very well! ;-)
The problem with consumer devices like the Draytek is that often they
can only auto-negotiate. This means that you _have_ to set the U60 to
half-duplex, which is what an auto-negotiating device falls back to
when it cannot negotiate the connection parameters.
--
Stefaan A Eeckels
suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, stop operating." -Dave Barry
Casper H.S. Dik
2009-04-10 16:09:58 UTC
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but it
works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did work
fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with the
DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)
I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?
It worked always for me, and certainly newer Solaris releases don't
any known issues.

If you force "full/100", then the performance will suffer as the
link partner will run at half/100 if it behaves properly.
(You could try half/100)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
Dave
2009-04-10 20:51:51 UTC
Post by Casper H.S. Dik
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't believe
there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this though) but it
works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn router. It did work
fine on another router, so either its a compatibility issue with the
DrayTek or its been damaged in the last couple of weeks.)
I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?
The U60 has worked fine for me for years. The Intertex modem/router I
had died and I first replaced it with a Belkin 'consumer-grade' model. I
found out within a few hours that it was too limited. so bought this
DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn, which is a bit more flexible than the home
modems/routers and not as expensive as the Cisco.
Post by Casper H.S. Dik
It worked always for me, and certainly newer Solaris releases don't
any known issues.
So there will be no advantage with this issue in upgrading from Solaris
10 update 4 to Solaris 10 update 6? (I said the machine had u6, but
later realised it was u4).

Is update 4 recent enough?
Post by Casper H.S. Dik
If you force "full/100", then the performance will suffer as the
link partner will run at half/100 if it behaves properly.
(You could try half/100)
So if I force the Sun to full duplex, the router will run at half? Have
I mis-understood you?
Post by Casper H.S. Dik
Casper
by others. They are leeches.
Casper H.S. Dik
2009-04-11 10:27:06 UTC
Post by Dave
So there will be no advantage with this issue in upgrading from Solaris
10 update 4 to Solaris 10 update 6? (I said the machine had u6, but
later realised it was u4).
Is update 4 recent enough?
It should be; what exactly is the problem you see?
Post by Dave
So if I force the Sun to full duplex, the router will run at half? Have
I mis-understood you?
Yes, if the router is standard compliant. If you force one linkpartner
to 100/full you MUST also force the other linkpartner.

But you can also enable auto-negotiation but configure so that you
only accept 100/full (that should work as auto-negotiation is still enabled;
if there's no negotiation then the speed is determined but the
assumption is that the other end can then only run at half-duplex.

Stefaan A Eeckels
2009-04-11 09:37:49 UTC
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:24:16 +0100
Post by Dave
I've got a Sun Ultra 60 with a hme ethernet interface. I don't
believe there is anything wrong with it (I do need to ensure this
though) but it works very badly when plugged into my DrayTek 2520Vn
router. It did work fine on another router, so either its a
compatibility issue with the DrayTek or its been damaged in the last
couple of weeks.)
If it works badly, it works. I've had a number of happy meal NICs go
dead on me, but as long as they work, they work well (given a good
cable and a reasonable switch to talk to :).
Post by Dave
I'm wondering if perhaps things like auto speed sensing, half/full
duplex or something else is just not compatible with the DrayTek. In
which case, is there anything I can do to force the hmeo interface to
stay in a mode that works?
I would try a new cable first. Get a good quality CAT5E cable and see
if that cures the problem. If not, consider putting a switch between
the DrayTek and the U60. Again, don't buy the cheapest one, but go for
an intelligent ("smart, web-smart") switch that has the ability to set
port parameters and show connection statistics (packets transmitted,
errors, collisions etc).
--
Stefaan A Eeckels